The Foundation Coach accreditation is the entry level course within the Triathlon Australia National Coaching Framework. It is designed as an introduction to coaching for those interested in delivering skill-based, participation focused group training sessions.
COURSE CALENDAR 2023
WHAT WILL COACHES LEARN
Delivered in a supportive and engaging environment the course is designed to develop fundamentals of coaching Triathlon through the development of ‘soft skills’ to better understand and engage with participants in a triathlon specific coaching environment [i.e. affiliated club/squad School or community group environment]. Coaches will learn:
- How to facilitate group training sessions to novice participants
- Plan, prepare and deliver basic skills-based training sessions
- Strategies to assess and manage risk for the safety and wellbeing of all participants in predictable settings
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic triathlon specific coaching skills,
- Demonstrate acceptable inclusive coaching practices for youth, junior and adult participants with an ability to work collaboratively and respectfully.
- How to provide meaningful feedback in a supportive and effective manner
- Value the benefits of self-reflection and being a self-learner
WHAT IS INVOLVED TO COMPLETE THE COURSE
A blended delivery strategy utilising the Flipped Classroom approach in a balance of online learning, video conference learning and face to face practical coaching assessments in the areas of swimming, cycling and running. This entails:
- The need to obtain a current Senior First Aid (HLTAID011), Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (HLTAID009) certificate
- Hold a current Working with Children and Vulnerable Persons check or State/Territory exemption.
- Complete the SportAus Community Coaching Essential Skills Course
- Complete several Sport Integrity Australia online learning modules
- ~15 hours of independent learning and assessment tasks over 3-4 weeks via the Knowledge Hub online resource [prior to attending the face to face sessions].
- Attend a 1 day practical coaching assessment with experience coach facilitators and dedicated coach mentors.
Coaches will be required to complete home study online tasks, plan, deliver and review practical sessions (on course).
COURSE PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
- Coach Candidates must be at least 16 years of age at the commencement of the learning program.
- Be a current Triathlon Australia member.
- Have access to an internet connected device for the Knowledge Hub online resource.
- Must complete all course requirements within the documented timeframe
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Coach Training Program, coaches will be able to:
- Coach unsupervised in participation focused group training sessions within affiliated clubs, squad, schools, or community group environments
- Have a fundamental level of knowledge, competence and decision making to facilitate participation focused coaching to novice participants in a group environment inclusive of demonstrating, instructing, and monitoring participants
- Plan and prepare basic skills-based session plans inclusive of assessment, analysis, and feedback in preparation for entry level triathlon races within affiliated clubs or local community events
- Assess and manage risk for the safety and wellbeing of all participants in predictable settings.
- Deliver sessions focused on inclusive coaching practice and working with others.
- Encouraged to work with or be mentored by a more experienced higher accredited triathlon coach to develop skills, competencies, and confidence for future independent coaching environments.
- Engage and inspire the community to take part in triathlon.
The cost of the Foundation Coach Training Program is $290 [plus GST] which includes ongoing access to Knowledge Hub online resource and practical assessment, all coaching resources, facilitator, and mentor support throughout the course.
To further enquiries please email the Coach Education team via <<this link>>
Please use the calendar above to locate the course nearest to you and press "click to register"
Follow us on: