The Performance Coach accreditation is the third stage of the Triathlon Australia National Coaching Framework and is designed as progressive coach development for experienced Development coaches who aspire to coach performance-focused triathletes to develop and advance their triathlon technical skills, physical preparation and competition skills.
The Performance Coach Training Program has been updated for 2020; with all new online resources, informed by the latest research in adult learning, sports science and coach development. The program focuses on the further development of athlete centred coaching and supporting individual athletes to achieve their performance focused goals and ambitions.
The Performance Coach Training Program been specifically designed to provide a supporting and engaging environment for developing performance focused triathlon coaches, to equip these coaches with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide unsupervised safe, ethical and effective performance triathlon coaching.
A Performance Coach is continuing to build their coaching experience and have triathlon skill and performance development specific knowledge. They will be working in a triathlon specific coaching practice [club and/or squad] in a senior coaching role.
This program focuses on producing a competent club/squad coach who can support a range of individual athletes to achieve their performance focused goals and ambitions through quality athlete centred coaching.
The Performance Coach Training Program prepares coaches to independently develop, plan, deliver and evaluate individualised performance focused triathlon coaching programs in a club/squad based training environment.
The philosophy of the Performance Coach Training Program is a coach-focused approach, with a strong emphasis on challenging existing knowledge and developing further understanding through a culture of collaboration and shared experience.
The Performance Coach Training Program is delivered using world’s best approaches in blended learning, employing the Flipped Classroom approach which provides a powerful combination of adult learning methods to invoke discussion, transformation, and practical applied solutions to performance coaching challenges.
The Performance Coach Training Program will help enhance each individual coaches’ pathway through an all-inclusive coach focused program. This 12-month coach development journey to developing personal coaching expertise, requires coaches take full responsibility for their personal development throughout the program.
The Performance Coach Training Program is an innovative combination of 3 key components:
- Performance Coach Development Portfolio, a comprehensive online resource consisting of 60-80 hours of self directed, independent learning and assessment, focusing on the principles of athlete centred performance coaching and sports science and performance focused technical triathlon knowledge and skills
- Performance Coach Development Camp, an immersive 9 day live in camp conducted at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra and facilitated by experts from Triathlon Australia includes:
- Practical insights into the evolution of triathlon coaching for performance from some of Australia’s most experienced triathlon coaches.
- AIS’s internationally renowned sports scientists providing insights into the latest research and science-based coaching strategies on topics including nutrition, physiology, recovery, psychology and skill acquisition.
- Coaches will also have the opportunity to network with some of triathlon’s best coaches throughout the program.
- Performance Coach Development Activities, a range of individual practical coach and professional development activities within their local and state triathlon community, focusing on the development and application of athlete centred performance focused coaching and sports science and refining performance focused practical coaching competency.
The Performance Coach Training Program has been developed by Triathlon Australia in line with the National Coaching Framework and Sport Australia’s standards for coaching, as a result, it is a nationally recognised coaching accreditation.
What will I learn?
The Performance Coach Training Program is designed for experienced Development coaches who:
- Are committed to becoming the best coach they can be.
- Wish to take that next step to develop their coaching with a desire of improving both their theoretical and practical coaching skills.
- Are inspired to empower their athletes whilst challenging and creating a coaching environment that aims to motivate, inspire and educate.
Updated for 2020, we have moved a significant portion of the theoretical content to the Knowledge Hub modules and the face to face camp component will focus on the practical application of the Knowledge Hub content and scenario based practical coaching activities.
The Performance Coach Training Program builds on the competencies of the Development Coach Training Program and includes:
- Investigating the principles of athlete centred performance coaching and its application to triathlon coaching, and educates coaches on how to develop performance-focused triathletes.
- Enhancing coaches knowledge and skills in the principles of training, and the planning, implementation, analysis and revision of triathlon coaching sessions and individual training programs for performance-focused triathletes.
- Addressing triathlon-specific performance planning and evaluation, discipline [swim, bike, run and transition - SBRT] specific skill and performance development, performance preparation and planning and practical performance-focused coaching.
- Educating and developing coaches so that they can provide a safe, ethical, enjoyable, skills focused coaching environment for performance-focused triathletes.
The knowledge and skills of coaches at this level are vital in supporting new performance-focused triathletes and enhancing the performance development of junior development and competitive adult triathletes.
Why attend the Performance Coach Training Program?
- The chance to make a real difference to your athletes by developing your personal coaching expertise.
- Graduate from one of the best nationally and internationally recognised coach development programs.
- Excellent networking and peer learning opportunities including access to world-leading facilitators and specialists, including Elite Coaches and Sport Scientists.
- Gain recognition as Triathlon Australia Performance Coach including eligibility to feature on the Triathlon Australia “Find a Coach” database as a Performance Coach.
- Eligibility to become a Triathlon Australia Coach Developer (Mentor/ Facilitator/ Assessor) to support the Development & Foundation Coach Training Programs.
Positions in the Triathlon Australia Performance Coach Training Program are limited with successful coaches determined through a rigorous nomination and selection process.
In order to be considered for the Performance Coach Training Program, coaches must meet the following minimum entry criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain a current Triathlon Australia Coach Membership1 for the duration of the program
- Maintain a current Triathlon Australia Development Coach Accreditation2, for the duration of the program [including completion of all relevant annual re-accreditation requirements].
- Have maintained their Triathlon Australia Development Coach accreditation for a minimum of two years3 AND can provide evidence of active triathlon coaching during that period.
3Coaches who have held a Triathlon Australia Development Coach accreditation for less than two years may apply for special consideration.
- Have a broad range of Development level coaching experience across all triathlon disciplines.
- Accept the terms and conditions of the Performance Coach Training Program.
- Coaches must have access to an internet connected device for the duration of the program in order to complete the Triathlon Australia Knowledge Hub requirements.
- Coaches will be registered for the qualification for a period of 24 months from the start of the program. However, most coaches complete in-line with the program duration.
Membership and Coaches Insurance1,2
- Your Triathlon Australia Coach Membership includes professional indemnity and public liability insurance to cover you as a coach during the program this will allow you to carry out the required coaching to complete your accreditation.
From commencement of the program coaches will be defined as a trainee Performance coaches and should not exceed the program's coaching scope of practice. It is important to maintain your membership to ensure this cover remains in place.
If you are unsure if you meet any of these requirements, please contact email@example.com to discuss.
Expectations of Selected Coaches
The success of the Performance Coach Training Program is dependent upon committed and dedicated coaches who are seeking to play an active coaching role in delivering performance focused triathlon coaching.
Coaches wishing to be accepted to the Performance Coach Training Program must be currently active as a Triathlon Australia accredited Development coach and committed to:
- Immersing yourself in this development opportunity by being an active coach in all aspects of the program, being able to commit the time and effort required to engage, participate and successfully complete all activities, tasks and assessments.
- Taking ownership of your learning which will be the key to successfully developing as a coach.
- A growth mindset approach [openness and willingness to learn] to maximising your potential as a coach [being stretched and challenged].
- Learning new ways to enhance their coaching within a performance focused environment.
- Open to real challenge and receive feedback on your coaching, expand comfort zones and honestly address your weaknesses and develop your strengths [Be comfortable with being uncomfortable].
- Have the ability to embrace change and apply lessons to your coaching practice.
- Actively demonstrating and implementing new learning in your coaching and supporting the Triathlon Australia Coach Development Program.
Upon successful completion of the Performance Coach Training Program*, coaches will be able to:
- Independently design, develop, implement and monitor individualised performance focused triathlon coaching programs appropriate to the triathletes needs integrating an extended knowledge of periodisation.
- Plan, deliver, lead and evaluate a long-term program of linked and progressive triathlon coaching sessions designed for individual performance focused triathletes.
- Apply extended and integrated knowledge, competence and decision making to deliver performance focused triathlon coaching to adolescents, adults and paratriathletes with a mix of ages/abilities/skill levels.
- Provide individually tailored performance focused athlete assessments, program development, instruction and demonstration, supervised triathlon coaching sessions and athlete reviews.
- Maintain consistent monitoring and support for athletes (including between sessions).
- Support and lead the development and mentoring of Foundation and Development coaches.
*Please note: These competencies are in addition to the Development Coach Scope of Practice.
Nominations are completed via the Triathlon Australia Knowledge Hub, and includes the following components:
- Entry Criteria Declaration
- Coach Profile Survey
- Coaching Philosophy [maximum one page]
- Coaching Aspirations [maximum two pages]
- Coaching Resume [maximum two pages]
The timeline for coach selection for the Performance Coach Training Program is as follows:
- Nominations will be consolidated following the closing of the nomination period.
- Successful coaches will be selected at the discretion of the Triathlon Australia Coach Development selection panel
Please Note: All nominations are subject to endorsement by the relevant State/Territory Coach Development personnel or Executive Director.
- Coaches will be notified of the outcome of their nomination within 4 weeks of the closing date.
- Program Fee payment must be made in full within 4 weeks of successful notifications being received
Please Note: Program fees must be paid in full before acceptance to the Performance Coach Training Program is confirmed.
Nominations for the 2020 Performance Coach Training Program are now open via the Triathlon Australia Knowledge Hub.
2020 Performance Coach Training Program
20 February 2020
$1995 plus GST
Includes Performance Coach Training Program fee and associated resources, 9 day live in Performance Coach Development Camp [including accommodation, meals and access to the AIS facilities for scheduled sessions].
2020 Performance Coach Development Camp
23 – 31 May 2020*
Australian Institute of Sport, Canberra ACT
Coaches are responsible for their own transport to and from the AIS.
If you wish to submit a nomination for the 2020 Performance Coach Training Program, please e-mail your membership number, first name, surname and preferred e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you an invitation to the Knowledge Hub - Nomination portal.
2021 Performance Coach Training Program
The opening of the 2021 Performance Coach Training Program nominations will be in late 2020.
If you wish to be alerted when nominations for the 2021 Performance Coach Training Program are open, please e-mail your membership number, first name, surname and preferred e-mail address to email@example.com and a reminder will be sent to you, along with a link to the Knowledge Hub - Nomination portal.
The Performance Coach Training Program is interactive and involves group discussions, presentations, quality guest speakers (coaches and athletes) and most importantly practical coaching experiences throughout.
It has been designed to build on the knowledge, skills and experience gained as a Development coach to further enhance your skills as a triathlon coach and introduce you to the more specific skills of working with individual performance focused athletes.