find a club
PARTNER WITH Us
Sign Up to Tri Life
OF THE OLYMPIC GAMES
People with Disabilities
Triathlon is a multidisciplinary endurance sport that challenges athletes to a continuous race over three disciplines: swim, bike and run. The sport is designed to embrace as many athletes as possible, while testing a variety of key skills.
People with disabilities currently participate in all forms of triathlon, from full ironman to mini and taster events. The ITU Paratriathlon event, conducted at the World Championships and included in the Paralympic Games from 2016 comprises 750m of swimming, followed by 20km of cycling and 5km of running. Depending on the disability, an athlete may use a handcycle, tandem bicycle or bicycle on the bike course, while wheelchairs are permitted for some on the run.
Providing quality opportunities for people with disabilities at all levels in the sport is of utmost importance to Triathlon Australia (TA) and to our State and Territory Triathlon Associations (STTA).
To support inclusion TA has developed the All of Sport Paratriathlon Framework to guide and inform the triathlon community. The TA Paratriathlon Committee appointed by the board of TA is responsible for monitoring the implementation of the Framework.
The framework has three distinct pillars:
- Inclusive: participation by any person with a disability in any event from entry level to Iron Man
- The safety of all participants and officials is paramount
- Acknowledges the complexity and difficulty of achieving inclusion for everyone – it will not be possible for every individual in all events.
- Supports cooperation to identify alternative ways of achieving inclusion and/or alternative opportunities if inclusion is not initially achievable
- The participant and the race organiser share responsibility to communicate with each other to find individual solutions if needed and where possible.
- Exclusive: Only for classifications as defined by the ITU and competition is conducted according to the rules and regulations of the ITU.
- Triathlon Australia sanctioned National Qualifying Events and ITU sanctioned International Paratriathlon Events only.
ITU Paratriathlon and Paralympic Pathway
1. Who can compete in ITU Paratriathlon and the Paralympic Games?
2. Where/how do I get classified?
3. What events are in ITU Paratriathlon and the Paralympic Games?
4. What about 70.3 and Ironman racing ?
5. What equipment must I have?
6. I want to give it a go, how quickly can I progress and what do I do?
7. What does a very good paratriathlete look like?
- To find out about the classification process for 2018-2019 season click here.
You can find more specific information
- ITU Paratriathlon
- Classification for ITU Paratriathlon, Including people with disabilities
- Triathlon Clubs
Want to get involved? Contact us at email@example.com or +61 2 8488 6200.