2019 Triathlon ACT Young Women Leadership Program
The 2019 Triathlon ACT Young Women Leadership Program has been developed to enhance gender diversity across all leadership roles within the Triathlon Community.
Workshop Date: 13th July 2019 (plus 4x seminars)
Workshop Time: 8-4pm
Venue: QUT Business School - 2 King Street, Deakin, ACT, 2600
Cost: FREE (excludes breakfast cost of seminar series)
Applicants: Female Triathlon ACT Members aged 16-39 years of age
Applications Open Now: close on Monday 27th May, 2019 at 11:45pm. link
(allow 15-20mins to complete)
The aim of this program is to provide participants with a thorough knowledge of how to communicate effectively in a contemporary triathlon event, club and organisation environment. This will include developing both an informed awareness of key elements such as purpose, persuasion, language, framing, listening, feedback and conversation; as well as the practical skills to apply these elements and model them as leaders.
The Triathlon ACT Young Women Leadership Program supports increasing organisational capacity and capability by providing the necessary leadership opportunities, education and confidence for women to take on key leadership roles and ensure that by 2023 they occupy 50% of the club and Triathlon ACT leadership roles.
The program directly supports assisting triathlon clubs to build their capacity through governance training, organisational planning and education of administrators.
It also directly relates to developing the skills of female volunteers, officials and administrators so that they can contribute further leadership capacity in triathlon.
The program is designed to enhance the leadership skills of female Triathlon ACT members, aged 16 to 39 years of age, who aspire to:
- lead club committees,
- join the Triathlon ACT Board,
- work in the triathlon industry,
- be an event manager,
- coach triathlon programs,
- become a technical official
The program will include:
1. Leadership Workshop delivered by QUT Business School in Canberra.
2. Group Leadership Project
3. Leadership Seminar Series
1. Leadership Workshop
A 1-day facilitated leadership workshop, delivered by QUT Business School, will be held in Canberra. The Leadership Workshop will include both pre- and post-learning requirements.
The learning outcomes of the workshop, which has been customized, includes the following:
- Identify and analyse key issues in triathlon club and organisation communication; for example, coaching, negotiation, influencing, feedback, teamwork, problem-solving;
- Identify, evaluate and address your own communication strengths and areas for improvement;
- Analyse and apply current communication theories to triathlon events, club and organisation issues;
- Propose solutions or improvements to address key issues that managers / leaders of complex organisational environments face in a specific triathlon event, club and organisation context.
The workshop will include the following topics:
- changing requirements for leaders
- understanding your leadership style
- effective leadership practice
- leadership philosophy
- leading change.
The workshop will be very interactive with a number of individual and group activities. As part of the workshop you will commence a group leadership project, which will provide the opportunity to enhance the Australian Triathlon Community.
2. Group Leadership Project
At the Leadership Workshop, participants will be informed of a Group Leadership Project. You will have a unique opportunity to work collaboratively on a project, which focuses on providing a solution to an identified area of triathlon that can be improved.
3. Leadership Seminar Series
Opportunities will be provided for the participants to learn from a range of sport leaders. The four seminars will take place between August and December 2019.
The following people will be involved in facilitating the 2019 Triathlon ACT Young Women Leadership Program:
- Program lead – Craig Johns (Triathlon ACT Executive Director)
- Program lead – Amanda Power (Triathlon ACT Board Member)
- Workshop Coordinator – Dr Evelyne Meier (QUT Business School Partnership Manager)
- Workshop Facilitator - Professor Melinda Edwards (QUT Business School)
Evidence of Need
Triathlon in the ACT and surrounding regions has a very proud story to demonstrate its commitment to encourage female participation in the sport and also involvement in the administration of the sport. 61% of Triathlon ACT (TACT) members are females – ages vary from 7 to 81. Amongst the fourteen clubs that are affiliated to TACT, Females in Training is the largest female only endurance club in Australia, with 357 members. Over 40% of the TACT Board, 50% of staff, 62% of technical officials and 49% of coaches are female.
Significant national and international successes have been achieved by a number of Triathlon ACT female athletes and coaches, both at the Olympic and Paralympic level. Within the various clubs and at the TACT Board level women are heavily represented with in many cases comprising well over 50% of committee members. However females only represent 29% of Club President roles, and the TACT Board President, Vice President and Executive Director are all occupied by males. We feel it is important that we trend towards 50% female representation in these leadership roles and therefore feel that a Women’s Leadership Program will provide the necessary capability to achieve this in the next four years.
- Applications are now open by clicking here
- Applications will close on Monday 27th May, 2019 at 11:45pm.
- Applicants will be notified whether they have been successful by Monday 3rd June, 2019
- Applicants will be selected based on your leadership background, skills and potential. You will be required to showcase how you can support the growth, development and awareness of triathlon through your leadership, in whatever capacity you would like to be involved in the sport.