By Alex Gosman
Congratulations to all the participants in the Canberra Club Triathlon held on Saturday. There were over 280 participants who all performed very well in great race conditions. Congratulations to the 113 novices who raced and all of us in the Triathlon community hope that as their various club based programs finish we can look to their continuing involvement in the sport of triathlon. It is great to see the influx of some many enthusiastic and passionate “newbies” to the sport, including at the Jackie Fairweather Memorial Triathlon event in November.
In an era of “fake news” there has been no fake news around the great performance of Triathlon ACT in 2017 with highlights including:
- strong membership (when a number of states are seeing declining membership)
- growth in affiliated clubs to 12
- high and increasing levels of participation at the various events held in Canberra by Triathlon ACT, Elite Energy and Sri Chimnoy
- return to a financial surplus under stewardship of our Treasurer Polly
- strong intake of novices in the 2017 novice programs
- 63% of members of TACT are female - probably the best performance of any “mixed sport" in Canberra
- support for those participants who participate and compete with disabilities, including at the Sanitarium Weet-Bix kids TRYathlon (which sold out for the 3rd year in a row)
- continuing support for the activities of Triathlon Australia including by Craig on the National Leadership Team, and by Steve and I on the Future Operating Model Committee.
Triathlon ACT would like to acknowledge the continuing support of the ACT Government for the sport of triathlon both through various financial grants but also their investment in improving the water quality of our lakes - Lake Burley Griffith has been very good for the early part of the season.
Thank you to all the volunteers at out various events over the year as well as the hours the technical officials put in to make sure Triathlon ACT’s events are safe, fun and in accordance with all requirements.
Triathlon ACT deeply appreciates all the volunteers at the recent triathlon, particularly the volunteers who turned up at 5 am on Saturday - in particular thank Steve Hough, Natasha Healy, Polly Templeton, Amanda Power and Craig for all their long hours both at the Office in setting up the event and then in its running on the Saturday. Thank also those members clubs who supported Triathlon ACT in putting on the triathlon and the positive way they came on board - Bilbys, FIT, Fit2Tri and Vikings.
Personally I would thank my fellow Board members for the efforts, commitments and enthusiasm for the sport - been great to work with Amanda, Polly, Prisicilla, Daudi, Marty and Steve.
Finally really big vote of appreciation to our two office staff Craig and Mel. Office staff does not really do justice to the hours they put into the sport and sufficient to say the fact that so many of the trends around triathlon in the ACT are positive is a reflection of their leadership and efforts to develop the sport of triathlon in ACT
On behalf of the Triathlon ACT Board and Staff we hope you all have a safe training season over Christmas and enjoy the time with family and look forward to seeing you at an event in Canberra in new year particularly the Aquathlons, which start on Wednesday 17th January.