- Triathlon ACT Event Calendar
- Sri Chimnoy Off-Road Duathlon
- ACT Duathlon Championships
- Sri Chimnoy Triple Triathlon
- Jackie Fairweather Memorial Triathlon
- Canberra Club Triathlon
- Aquathon Race #1
- Aquathon Race #2
- Elite Energy Canberra Triathlon Festival
- Aquathon Race #3
- Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon Canberra
- ACT Aquathon Championships
- Proximity Corporate Triathlon
- Series Pass
- Series Points
- Triathlon ACT Annual Awards
- Triathlon ACT Event Calendar
> Home Page > State Associations > ACT > Get Involved > Beginner & Novice Programs
Welcome to the world of triathlon training!
You will find people from all walks of life are hooked on the great lifestyle that training for triathlon brings. There is a strong friendly, social side to the sport with affiliated Triathlon clubs offering a range of training sessions each week catering for all levels of fitness. The clubs run sessions that also offer a very supportive environment for those new to the sport, with plenty of experienced triathletes and qualified coaches willing to provide advice. If you are ready to step up and get serious, you will find other like minded athletes to motivate you to reach your full potential.
How can I start?We have three fantastic clubs in the ACT that provide 6-8 week Novice Triathlon programs from September to November each year. They all cater for people, like you, who wish to get a start in the sport of triathlon.
For details on all nine Triathlon clubs and coaching options in the ACT, please click here
Participating in our events:
The best way to get into triathlon is to come to one of our event. Triathlon ACT is organising 2 duathlon, 4 triathlon and four aquathlon events during the season suitable for beginners:
The best way to get into triathlon is to come to one of our 2017-2018 events, which are suitable for beginners:
|Jul 23||Sri Chinmoy Off-Road Duathlon link|
|Aug 6||ACT Duathlon Champs link|
|Nov 26||Jackie Fairweather Memorial Triathlon link|
|Dec 16||Canberra Club Triathlon link|
|Feb 3||Elite Energy Canberra Triathlon Festival link|
|Jan-Mar||Aquathlon Series (Jan 17, Jan 24, Feb 7, Feb 28) link|
|Mar 3||Proximity Corporate and Community Triathlon link|
All of the above events are suitable for people starting from age 12 and above we have no age limits. You can enter an event online at the events calendar.
Athletes with a disabilityTriathlon ACT welcomes any athletes with a disability to participate to our events. However in some cases the courses might not be safe for some disability. We encourage you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registering for an event to ensure the course will be suitable.
Joining a club
Joining a club is the easiest way to start training with some qualified coaches. There are four clubs in the ACT that are providing Training programs suitable for beginners:
- Vikings Triathlon Club: Vikings Novice program: suitable for everyone starting from 14 year old.
- Canberra Bilbys Triathlon Club: Bilbys Novice program: suitable for everyone starting from 18 year old.
- Females in Training (FIT): FIT Novice program: suitable for all women starting from 18 year old.
- FIT2TRI Triathlon Club: FIT2TRI Novice program: suitable for everyone starting from 14 year old.
Joining Triathlon ACT
You don't have to be a member to enter our events or to join a club, however joining Triathlon ACT will give you lots of benefits.To see all the benefits and to join us please view our membership platform.
By joining a Novice program you will automatically become a Novice member, a Triathlon ACT member and a Triathlon Australia member.
What is the novice program?
Every year, Triathlon ACT supports the novice training programs run by various triathlon clubs within the ACT. These club novice programs involve a series of specific training sessions focused on skills and fitness for those new to the sport and culminate in participants competing in the ACT Triathlon Novice series. The length of the program varies from 7 to 9 weeks depending on the club.
|Bilbys Triathlon Club (Bilbys)||Females in Training (FIT)||FIT2TRI Triathlon Club (FIT2TRI)||Vikings Triathlon Club (Vikings)|
|Location||Central / North Canberra||Central Canberra||Central Canberra||South Canberra|
|Suitable for||Everyone 18 years and older||Females 18 years and older||Everyone 14 years and older||Everyone 14 years and older|
|Start of Program||Oct-Dec 2017
How to join a novice program and become a novice member?
To join a novice program, please contact the club that looks the most suitable for you. They will provide introductory sessions, information, training sessions, social gatherings and race preparation.
Once you join a novice program you will automatically become a novice, Triathlon ACT and Triathlon Australia member.
Please visit the Triathlon ACT Benefits of Annual Membership website to see Novice Program Members' benefits. Triathlon Australia also provide amazing benefits that are included as part of your membership Benefits of Annual Membership.
Benefits for novice programs members
- A training program adapted for beginners or young triathletes
- A special discount for Triathlon ACT events (Specific Novice events)
- Technique sessions
- Four bikes, supplied by Triathlon ACT, are available to lend for a short period of time if you don’t have a bike. (Please contact us at email@example.com if you are interested)
- ALL the Triathlon ACT & Triathlon Australia member benefits
Resources for Beginners