Triathlon NSW is excited to announce that registrations for the 2018 NSW Club Championships have now opened!
CLICK HERE to register!
* Please note that registrations for the junior race will added at a later date.
The annual Club Championships is one of the most keenly anticipated events of the Triathlon calendar with over 1000 participants from over 50 clubs in NSW taking part in the day.
Following the success of the 2017 event and the continued strong support of Orange City Council, Orange was an overwhelming choice as the 2018 host.
With club pride on the line, all the triathlon clubs in NSW will venture out to the beautiful country surrounds of Gosling Creek Reservoir in Orange on Saturday the 24th of March, 2018 to participate or volunteer in a triathlon consisting of a 1km swim, a 30km bike ride and an 8km run. Every person who races or volunteers earns points for the club.
“I am absolutely delighted to see the 2018 NSW Club Championships return to Orange,” Triathlon NSW CEO Phil Dally said.
“The sport of triathlon in the Central West region is going from strength to strength each year, particularly in Orange. The city has wholeheartedly embraced the sport and have certainly been enthusiastic to host the event once again.”
Triathlon NSW’s membership base has been very supportive of the decision. Following Orange’s inaugural year as Club Championship host, a survey was sent out to all participants.
- The overwhelming majority voted that they enjoyed the experience and would return next year.
- 92% supported the notion of spreading the Club Championships around the state to equalise access to all regions over time and to grow the sport of triathlon, but not a move every year – most supported the event being conducted at the same venue for 2-3 years before moving to another.
There have however been some changes from last year’s event following feedback derived from the survey results.
- The Presentation and After Party will be moved to Orange Ex-Services Club to accommodate an expected increase in participants.
- The run course will be modified to remove the “tight rough section on the southern side of the lake” and eliminate the congestion along “Club tent alley”.
- Potential changes to the bike course to improve the experience on the cycle leg.
- The Junior Club Champs will become a permanent feature of the event after 96% of people voted that they enjoyed the inclusion of the junior division.
Last year’s event brought 1500 people to Orange, with an estimated economic benefit of $1 million.
Orange Mayor John Davis (OAM) is thrilled that Orange will be playing host to the 2018 NSW Club Championships and to be able to show off what the region has to offer as a holiday destination.
“When people come to Orange for a major sporting event like this, they experience first-hand the beauty of our local countryside,” Cr John Davis said. “If they’re too busy competing during the event, I reckon they’ll be even keener to come back for a longer more relaxed stay, maybe during one of the festivals.”
Orange City Council’s Sport & Recreation Committee chair, Cr Jason Hamling said the decision to stage the NSW Club Championships again in Orange provides a boost to the sport in the region.
“Our local club is going ahead in leaps and bounds and I’m sure part of that success has rubbed off from seeing the best competitors in the state at close-quarters,” Cr Jason Hamling said. “We’ve seen a lot of work go into upgrading the competition facilities at Gosling Creek, such as walk-n entrance to the water, and that’s good for locals.”
CLICK HERE to register!
Event: 2018 NSW Club Championships
Where: Gosling Creek Reservoir, Orange
Date: 24th of March, 2018
Presentation and After Party: Orange Ex Services Club