Australian Schools Triathlon Festival
The Australian Schools Triathlon Festival (ASTF) is new multi-sport initiative presented jointly by School Sport Australia (SSA) and Triathlon Australia. The inaugural ASTF is scheduled for 18-21 April 2017 in Penrith NSW. The ASTF is an outstanding opportunity for secondary school students from all over Australia to be part of this national multi-sport festival aimed specially at students.
In order to cater for all student capabilities and aspirations Triathlon Australia and School Sport Australia has created multi-tiered events program. With the combination of the SSA Triathlon Championships and the inclusion of participation Triathlon, school relay and Aquathlon programme into the ASTF it opens up a whole new opportunity for students to participate in this dynamic sport on a variety of levels.
The ASTF has two key event categories; the existing School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships and the new Australian Open Schools Triathlon. For students to compete in the School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships they must be selected into their respective state school sport representative teams. Selection into state school sport teams means they can race for the prestigious School Sport Australia Triathlon Championship Titles.
Australian Open Schools Triathlon Events
This event is open to any secondary school students, aged 13 and above, who wish to represent their school at the Australian Schools Triathlon Festival. Students have the choice of competing in one, two or three different formats of the sport during the festival.
- Australian Open Schools AQUATHLON Championships (Swim/Run)
Date: 3:00pm, Wednesday 19th of April.
CLICK HERE to register.
- Australian Open School Triathlon (Non-Drafting)
Date: 2:00pm, Thursday 20th of April.
CLICK HERE to register now.
- Australian Open School Triathlon Relay Championships (Non-Drafting)
Date: 11:00am, Friday 21st of April.
Cost: 3 x $31.50.
Details: 1 swimmer/1 cyclist/1 runner from the same age and gender may form a school team. Schools may enter multiple teams in each category (junior / intermediate / senior, male / female).
Only one person must enter the relay team into the registration portal. Please have all student's details (DOB, contact number etc) prior to commencing the registration process.
CLICK HERE to register.
* Each of the aforementioned open events will include a wave for students with a disability!
School Sport Australia Triathlon Championship Events
This event is for students selected in their respective State School Sport Triathlon Team only.
- 2017 SSA Triathlon Championships (Draft Legal Cycle leg)
Date: 8:00am, Thursday 20th of April.
- 2017 SSA Triathlon Relay Championships (Draft Legal Cycle Leg)
Date: 8:00am, Friday 21st of April.
- Junior: 13 - 14 years old
- Intermediate: 15 - 16 years old
- Senior: 17 and above
Schedule of Events
Tuesday 18th of April
- AM: Teams arrive into Sydney and transfer to Penrith.
- 1:00pm: Bike set up.
- 2:00pm: Bike/Run course familiarisation.
- 5:00pm: School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships – Pre-event team managers meeting/briefing.
Day 1: Wednesday 19th April
- 10:00am: School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships – Opening Ceremony.
- 11:00am: Swim/Bike/Run course familiarisation.
- 3:00pm: RACE – 2017 Australian Open Schools Aquathlon Championships (Swim/Run).
- 5:00pm: Parents and Coaches forum – Triathlon Australia National Athlete Pathway.
Day 2: Thursday 20th April
- 8:00am: RACE – School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships (Draft Legal).
- 2:00pm: RACE – Australian Open School Triathlon (Non-Drafting).
- 3:00pm: School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships – Educational Workshop.
- 6:00pm: School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships – Awards Dinner/Function.
Day 3: Friday 21st April
- 8:00am: RACE – School Sport Australia Triathlon Mixed Relay Championships (Draft Legal).
- 10:30am: School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships – Post event team managers meeting.
- 11:00am: RACE – Australian Open School Triathlon Relay Championships (Non-Drafting).
- 12:00pm: School Sport Australia Triathlon Championships – Teams/Relay presentation and closing ceremony and barbeque.
- Championship Relay is ITU style: 2 Female 2 Male draft legal triathlon each
- Open Relay: 1 swimmer, 1 cyclist, 1 runner (NON draft legal)
- Relays will be conducted in Age and Gender Categories.
CLICK HERE for Triathlon NSW's Selection Policy for the NSW Team to represent NSW High Schools at the Australian Schools Triathlon Championships.
NSW Selection Policy
- Junior Course
- Intermediate Course
- Intermediate Course and Relay Course
- Senior Course
Frequently Asked Questions
CLICK HERE for a Frequently Asked Questions fact sheet.