- Contact Us
- Annual General Meetings
- Governance & Policies
- Latest News
- Notice: Triathlon Victoria Technical Committee calling for ‘Expressions of Interest’
- Bayside Triathlon Club turns 25!
- Triathlon Victoria announces new partnership with On
- 2016-17 Victorian Triathlon State Series
- Strength, conditioning and body maintenance for triathletes
- National Performance Standard time trials. 16th October 2016
- Victorians racing 2016 ITU World Cross Triathlon Championships
- 2016/17 Board of Triathlon Victoria
- St Kilda Primary students meet TRYhero Tim Cahill in preparation for the Melbourne Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
- Triathlon Victoria to Play it Safe by the Water this Summer
- Get TriActive
- 2017 Victorian Sport Awards Finalists
- Triathlon Victoria Coach Conference 2018 - A roaring success!
- Event Organisers Seminar delivered with success
- Get ready to line up for the 2018 Australian Duathlon Championships
- Pilates for Sports joins Triathlon Victoria as Official Supplier of Strength & Conditioning
- 2018 Victorian Duathlon Series has kicked off - Race 1 results
- Packed out field to take to the course for Race 2
- Mixed Team Relay announced for Race 3 of Victorian Duathlon Series
- Positions Vacant: TRI2gether Coach Ambassadors
- Expression of Interests for Mentor Coach/Assessors for the Foundation Coach Training Program
- Club pride gets put on the line at Race 3
- Changes to the Triathlon Victoria Constitution approved
- Congratulations to all the Victorian ITU Age Group World Championship competitors
- Bumper field set for Australian Duathlon Championships
- Australian Duathlon Championships close out Duathlon Series with a packed field
- Notice of the 2018 Triathlon Victoria Annual General Meeting
- Are you ready to take the next step in your triathlon career?
- Triathlon Victoria Office Closure over Melbourne Cup
- The difference between a training activity and event
- Ringwood Father-Daughter Trio Ready to Run Rings around Ringwood
- Another Ben Allen master class at the Victorian Cross Triathlon State Championships
- Victorian Triathlon Clubs rally behind water safety this Summer
- Coach's Preview: Juniors ready to run at Runaway Bay
- Schools get ready to 'TRI2gether' in 2019
- Vic's make Australian Age Group Team for Penticton World Champs
- VICS make AUS Age Group Team for Rotterdam
- 2017 Triathlon Victoria Award Winners
- TV Announces New Athlete Pathway Coordinator
- Training Tools for the Triathlete
- Cancelled - Professional Development for Coaches and Athletes
- Triathlon Victoria Development Program - Tryouts and training day
- Duathlon Series 2017
- Welsh scores silver in Sarasota
- VACANCY: TRYstars Event Activation Volunteers & Coaches
- Nominations are now open for the 2018-19 SSV Triathlon Team
- Upcoming Events Organisers Seminar
- 2017 Notice of Annual General Meeting of Triathlon Victoria - updated
- Ringwood TC encourages all to give triathlon a go
- Technical Official Payments Policy
- TRIactive Coach Training Program
- Triathlon Victoria and SME360 are pleased with the result of the Victorian Schools Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon Victoria raises the bar in water safety
- Club racing presents vibrant programs across Victoria
- TVDP Perth Preview
- SSV are looking for a triathlon coach
- Athlete Pathway Travel Grants - NOW OPEN
- Attention cyclists: Australian Grand Prix Works Albert Park 2018
- Albert Park Cyclist Bulletin #3
- TRIactive Coach Training Program - 15th April 2018
- Park Orchids PS & Jarasport TRYstars
- Barwon Heads a roaring success
- TVDP dominate interstate and at home
- Australian Grand Prix Works Albert Park Bulletin #4
- Ballarat Triathlon Club ready to make waves
- Triathlon Victoria Development Camp a Success
- Event Organisers Seminar
- Nominations now open for Pierre de Coubertin Award
- Triathlon Victoria announces Dr Bridie O’Donnell as 2018 Awards guest speaker
- Performance Coach Training Program
- Inspiring Coaches, Volunteers & Athletes recognised at 2018 Triathlon Victoria Awards Breakfast
- Coach Conference for TA accrediated coaches
> Home Page > State Associations > VIC > Clubs > Play it Safe by the Water
Play it Safe by the Water
Triathlon Victoria’s (TV) partnership with the ‘Play it Safe by the Water’ (PISBTW) campaign supports affiliated triathlon clubs to lead water safety awareness, attitudes and practices of the triathlon community (events, clubs and individual members).Together, we act as leaders and advocates for water safety by ensuring improved water safety practices (open water training sessions and events), regular communication, strong branding, engagement in water safety training and by providing clubs with appropriate resources.
TRIATHLON VICTORIA OPEN WATER SWIMMING GUIDELINES
The guidelines below are designed to provide triathletes and their clubs and squads with some recommendations to ensure participant safety when swimming in open water aquatic environments. Supervision is an incredibly important part of playing it safe by the water and hence all activities in supervised pools and open water swimming in SLSA patrolled areas are considered suitable aquatic venues to train and recreate in without the need for additional safety measures.
To download the Triathlon Victoria "Open Water Swim Guidelines", please click Triathlon Victoria Open Water Swim Guidelines.
SUMMARY OF OPEN WATER SWIMMING GUIDELINES
- All activities in supervised pools are acceptable
- Open water swimming is acceptable in SLSA patrolled areas
- Open water swimming in SLSA non-patrolled areas is acceptable provided that the club/squad has developed and implemented an appropriate risk management plan which, as a minimum, considers the risk of a swimmer requiring outside assistance
- Template Aquatic Activity Risk Guidelines and Management Form - for clubs open water swimming sessions - Click Here
- Every triathlete is responsible to make sure they play it safe by the water and therefore the risk checklist is suitable for everyone prior to swimming in open water
How do I monitor conditions?
- Beach Safe – Search the beach where you are training to see if it is patrolled, check the hazard rating and find out about the area
- BOM – Check the weather forecast via the Bureau of Meteorology
- EPA – The Environmental Protection Authority regularly updates it’s website with water quality forecasts for 36 beaches across Port Phillip Bay.
- Coastal Watch – Visit Coastal watch to find out the latest surf conditions and forecasts
WATER SAFETY EDUCATION RESOURCES:
- Learn Water First Aid - WaterFirst is a FREE community program designed by St Johns Victoria to educate you on how First Aid can save lives around the water. This online program teaches you how to save a life in just five minutes – the five minutes that could matter most in an emergency scenario.
- LSV Everyday Lifesaver App - Transforming the way we teach Safety Education, the Everyday Lifesaver App uses gamification to make learning water safety, emergency response and CPR more engaging. The App is targeted at Year 7 & 8 students, however could possibly be suitable from Year 5 to Year 10 students.
- LSV Education from Anywhere – Water safety education resources for schools and clubs
- More coming soon!
Champion club program
The ‘Champion Club’ program continues in 2018/19 with a purpose to support and resource clubs to provide and maintain a safe aquatic environment.
Last year the “Champion Club” program saw 7 clubs be supported to increase resources around water safety, among a wider campaign to raise awareness to water safety. This year, we are again opening the opportunity for clubs to become a “Champion Club” and be supported to increase awareness and focus on water safety within training and events; with capacity to support up to 17 clubs.
Expressions of Interest for the 2018/19 Champion Club program have now closed.