- Contact Us
- Annual General Meetings
- Governance & Policies
- Latest News
- Notice: Triathlon Victoria Technical Committee calling for ‘Expressions of Interest’
- Bayside Triathlon Club turns 25!
- Triathlon Victoria announces new partnership with On
- 2016-17 Victorian Triathlon State Series
- Strength, conditioning and body maintenance for triathletes
- National Performance Standard time trials. 16th October 2016
- Victorians racing 2016 ITU World Cross Triathlon Championships
- 2016/17 Board of Triathlon Victoria
- St Kilda Primary students meet TRYhero Tim Cahill in preparation for the Melbourne Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
- Triathlon Victoria to Play it Safe by the Water this Summer
- Get TriActive
- 2017 Victorian Sport Awards Finalists
- Triathlon Victoria Coach Conference 2018 - A roaring success!
- Event Organisers Seminar delivered with success
- Get ready to line up for the 2018 Australian Duathlon Championships
- Pilates for Sports joins Triathlon Victoria as Official Supplier of Strength & Conditioning
- 2018 Victorian Duathlon Series has kicked off - Race 1 results
- Packed out field to take to the course for Race 2
- Mixed Team Relay announced for Race 3 of Victorian Duathlon Series
- Positions Vacant: TRI2gether Coach Ambassadors
- Expression of Interests for Mentor Coach/Assessors for the Foundation Coach Training Program
- Club pride gets put on the line at Race 3
- Changes to the Triathlon Victoria Constitution approved
- Congratulations to all the Victorian ITU Age Group World Championship competitors
- Bumper field set for Australian Duathlon Championships
- Australian Duathlon Championships close out Duathlon Series with a packed field
- Notice of the 2018 Triathlon Victoria Annual General Meeting
- Are you ready to take the next step in your triathlon career?
- Triathlon Victoria Office Closure over Melbourne Cup
- The difference between a training activity and event
- Ringwood Father-Daughter Trio Ready to Run Rings around Ringwood
- Another Ben Allen master class at the Victorian Cross Triathlon State Championships
- Victorian Triathlon Clubs rally behind water safety this Summer
- Coach's Preview: Juniors ready to run at Runaway Bay
- Schools get ready to 'TRI2gether' in 2019
- Momentum Endurance makes water safety a priority
- Two Foundation Coach Training Programs opened
- Coach's Preview: Victoria ready to build on AJTS momentum
- Nominations now open for 2019 Triathlon Victoria Awards
- Vic's make Australian Age Group Team for Penticton World Champs
- VICS make AUS Age Group Team for Rotterdam
- 2017 Triathlon Victoria Award Winners
- TV Announces New Athlete Pathway Coordinator
- Training Tools for the Triathlete
- Cancelled - Professional Development for Coaches and Athletes
- Triathlon Victoria Development Program - Tryouts and training day
- Duathlon Series 2017
- Welsh scores silver in Sarasota
- VACANCY: TRYstars Event Activation Volunteers & Coaches
- Nominations are now open for the 2018-19 SSV Triathlon Team
- Upcoming Events Organisers Seminar
- 2017 Notice of Annual General Meeting of Triathlon Victoria - updated
- Ringwood TC encourages all to give triathlon a go
- Technical Official Payments Policy
- TRIactive Coach Training Program
- Triathlon Victoria and SME360 are pleased with the result of the Victorian Schools Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon Victoria raises the bar in water safety
- Club racing presents vibrant programs across Victoria
- TVDP Perth Preview
- SSV are looking for a triathlon coach
- Athlete Pathway Travel Grants - NOW OPEN
- Attention cyclists: Australian Grand Prix Works Albert Park 2018
- Albert Park Cyclist Bulletin #3
- TRIactive Coach Training Program - 15th April 2018
- Park Orchids PS & Jarasport TRYstars
- Barwon Heads a roaring success
- TVDP dominate interstate and at home
- Australian Grand Prix Works Albert Park Bulletin #4
- Ballarat Triathlon Club ready to make waves
- Triathlon Victoria Development Camp a Success
- Event Organisers Seminar
- Nominations now open for Pierre de Coubertin Award
- Triathlon Victoria announces Dr Bridie O’Donnell as 2018 Awards guest speaker
- Performance Coach Training Program
- Inspiring Coaches, Volunteers & Athletes recognised at 2018 Triathlon Victoria Awards Breakfast
- Coach Conference for TA accrediated coaches
> Home Page > State Associations > VIC > Get Involved > Starting Out
GETTING STARTED IS EASY
Triathlon is a great sport for all ages and abilities. All you need is a bike, running shoes and some goggles. There are races with a range of distances to suit a variety of fitness levels.
The fastest way to get started in triathlon is to join in with your local Club. Clubs provide coaching and training sessions along with lots of advice about getting started in triathlon. To find a club in your local area, visit the Clubs Page on the Triathlon Victoria website.
what does a triathlon look like?
Swim - The triathlon starts with a swim, most likely being open water (either the beach or a lake). Triathletes are to swim around the buoys and back to the start.
Bike – After the swim the athletes then enter the Transition Area, this is where they change into their shoes and helmet. They then enter the cycling leg of the course.
Run - Once the cycle leg is finished, triathletes enter into another Transition Area and dismount the bike, shoes are put on and helmet is taken off. This is the final leg of the race.
Gear that you will need
- Swim: wetsuit, goggles, cap
- Cycle: bike, helmet, shoes, water/gels, pump, sunglasses
- Run: shoes (with elastic laces), hat, towel, sunglasses.
Frequently asked questions
New to Triathlon? Check out our Frequently asked Questions page for people who are new to Triathlon!
About to compete in your first race? OurRace Day FAQ, designed for those competing in their first triathlon might help you out!
Not sure about the Cycling on the road - Check out Cycling Victoria's Code of Conduct for Training Cyclists.
Want to learn some basic rules? Check out this short YouTube Clip that explains what drafting is!