- Contact Us
- Annual General Meetings
- Latest News
- Triathlon Victoria to Play it Safe by the Water this Summer
- Get TriActive
- Bayside Triathlon Club turns 25!
- Triathlon Victoria announces new partnership with On
- 2016-17 Victorian Triathlon State Series
- Strength, conditioning and body maintenance for triathletes
- National Performance Standard time trials. 16th October 2016
- Victorians racing 2016 ITU World Cross Triathlon Championships
- 2016/17 Board of Triathlon Victoria
- St Kilda Primary students meet TRYhero Tim Cahill in preparation for the Melbourne Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
> Home Page > State Associations > VIC > Get Involved > Starting Out
GETTING STARTED IS EASY
Triathlon is a great sport for all ages and abilities. All you need is a bike, running shoes and some goggles. There are races with a range of distances to suit a variety of fitness levels.
The fastest way to get started in triathlon is to join in with your local Club. Clubs provide coaching and training sessions along with lots of advice about getting started in triathlon. To find a club in your local area, visit the Clubs Page on the Triathlon Victoria website.
what does a triathlon look like?
Swim - The triathlon starts with a swim, most likely being open water (either the beach or a lake). Triathletes are to swim around the buoys and back to the start.
Bike – After the swim the athletes then enter the Transition Area, this is where they change into their shoes and helmet. They then enter the cycling leg of the course.
Run - Once the cycle leg is finished, triathletes enter into another Transition Area and dismount the bike, shoes are put on and helmet is taken off. This is the final leg of the race.
Gear that you will need
- Swim: wetsuit, goggles, cap
- Cycle: bike, helmet, shoes, water/gels, pump, sunglasses
- Run: shoes (with elastic laces), hat, towel, sunglasses.
Frequently asked questions
New to Triathlon? Check out our Frequently asked Questions page for people who are new to Triathlon!
About to compete in your first race? OurRace Day FAQ, designed for those competing in their first triathlon might help you out!
Not sure about the Cycling on the road - Check out Cycling Victoria's Code of Conduct for Training Cyclists.
Want to learn some basic rules? Check out this short YouTube Clip that explains what drafting is!