Dear all Victorian affiliated clubs,
I hope the season has started strongly and with five key open events between now and mid-December there are plenty of on and off-road event opportunities
I am writing to you (as all State Associations are to their member clubs) to provide some clarity regarding training activities and events and attach a letter from Miles Stewart, Triathlon Australia CEO (found here) regarding this matter.
We (TA and state associations) are concerned that there may be events being conducted by clubs that have not been processed through the ‘Online Sanctioning Portal’ (OSP). This is possibly in breach of our insurance coverage and hence poses a risk of having any claims arising from these events declined - putting both members and club committees at some risk.
You are best placed to decide if an activity meets the training or event criteria (see attached letter).
Should you need further assistance regarding this matter please contact Brian Hinton (Event and Sanctioning Co-ordinator) on firstname.lastname@example.org or 9598 8686.
Keep in mind that the key requirements of a training activity are:
- Swim activities should be supervised, in a pool or SLSA patrolled areas
- Bike and run groups should be limited to a maximum of 20 participants
- The activity must be non-competitive within the group
- There should be no formal recording of times or publishing of results, as this suggests that the activity is competitive
- All participants must obey all traffic rules
- Run legs should be entirely off-road (except for road crossings)
- And the activity should be exclusively for club members (or participants on 14-day or short term programs)
Best wishes for a great 2018-19 season and look forward to continuing our support of you and your club.
Follow us on: