- Contact Us
- Annual General Meetings
- Latest News
- Notice: Triathlon Victoria Technical Committee calling for ‘Expressions of Interest’
- Cancelled - Professional Development for Coaches and Athletes
- Triathlon Victoria Development Program - Tryouts and training day
- Duathlon Series 2017
- Welsh scores silver in Sarasota
- VACANCY: TRYstars Event Activation Volunteers & Coaches
- 2017-18 School Sport Victoria Selection Policy - Triathlon
- Upcoming Events Organisers Seminar
- 2017 Notice of Annual General Meeting of Triathlon Victoria - updated
- Ringwood TC encourages all to give triathlon a go
- Technical Official Payments Policy
- TRIactive Coach Training Program
- SME360 and Triathlon Victoria announce the Victorian Schools Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon Victoria raises the bar in water safety
- Bayside Triathlon Club turns 25!
- Triathlon Victoria announces new partnership with On
- 2016-17 Victorian Triathlon State Series
- Strength, conditioning and body maintenance for triathletes
- National Performance Standard time trials. 16th October 2016
- Victorians racing 2016 ITU World Cross Triathlon Championships
- 2016/17 Board of Triathlon Victoria
- St Kilda Primary students meet TRYhero Tim Cahill in preparation for the Melbourne Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
- Triathlon Victoria to Play it Safe by the Water this Summer
- Get TriActive
- 2017 Victorian Sport Awards Finalists
- Vic's make Australian Age Group Team for Penticton World Champs
- VICS make AUS Age Group Team for Rotterdam
- 2017 Triathlon Victoria Award Winners
- TV Announces New Athlete Pathway Coordinator
- Training Tools for the Triathlete
> Home Page > State Associations > VIC > Juniors/Schools > School Sport Victoria - Triathlon
School Sport Victoria - Triathlon
School Sport Victoria Selection Policy - Triathlon
The 2018 the Australian Schools Triathlon Festival (ASTF) will be held Tuesday, 24 April through to Friday, 27 April, 2018. The venue will be the Sydney International Regatta Centre.
It is a multi-sport initiative presented jointly by Schools Sport Australia (SSA) and Triathlon Australia (TA).
Up to six athletes (6 boys/6 girls) selected in each of the age categories. (Age taken at 31.12.18)
All athletes must race draft legal to be in selected in the School Sport Victorian Triathlon Team.
- Junior 13-14 years Boys & Girls (Equivalent to ITU Youth B)
- Intermediate 15-16 years Boys & Girls (Equivalent to ITU Youth A)
- Senior 17-19 years Boys & Girls (Equivalent to ITU Junior)
What does ‘draft legal’ mean?
All athletes need to be endorsed ‘draft legal’ to race in selection events and at the ASTF which means that when on the bike leg it is legal to draft from another rider. Drafting requires specific skills and an athlete must be endorsed (tested) by a Performance Level Triathlon or Level 1 Cycling coach. The endorsement must be lodged here on Triathlon Australia’s website - Draft legal Endorsement
The ASTF consists of educational and sporting components. Being a member of a School Sport Victoria state team provides an opportunity to be involved in an all-inclusive educational and sporting excursion. All members of selected teams whether students or team officials, are expected to fulfil the responsibilities of being a Victorian team member. (See attached FAQ for team responsibilities)
Athletes in the junior age group compete over a maximum distance. 400m/15km/4km (draft legal)
- Intermediate and senior athletes compete over a maximum distance. 750m/20km/5km (draft legal)
To be eligible to compete in the selection races and for team selection athletes must:
- be enrolled at a Victorian school affiliated with School Sport Victoria in 2017 - 18.
- be endorsed ‘draft legal’ - all selection races and 2018 ASTF categories are ‘draft legal’ format.
- comply with the age categories for the 2018 ASTF (age taken as at 31 December 2018)
- complete the selection nomination form – click here
Selection - Policy
Team officials will ensure that the selection process is fair and transparent and that students, parents and teachers aware of the process and kept informed during the selection period. The selection committee comprises the SSV Team Officials, a representative of School Sport Victoria and a representative of Triathlon Victoria.
Frequently asked questions - FAQ
There will be three (3) selection races and comprising of the Yarrawonga Mulwala Multisport Festival (Yarrawonga/Mulwala), Sufferfest - Safety Beach and the 2XU Triathlon Series – Race 3.
Athletes enter events through the respective events websites NOT through School Sport Victoria or Triathlon Victoria.
Round 1 - Yarrawonga Mulwala Multisport Festival
Date: Saturday 21 October, 2017
Venue: Yarrawonga Foreshore
Junior Distance: 250m / 8km / 2km – draft legal
Intermediate & Senior Distances: 500m / 18km / 5km – draft legal
Organiser: Splash & Dash - www.ymmf.com.au
Round 2 - Sufferfest - Safety Beach
Date: Sunday 3 December, 2017
Venue: Safety Beach
Junior Distance: 300m / 13.4km / 2.5km – draft legal
Intermediate & Senior Distances: 500m / 20km / 5km – draft legal
Organiser: The Event People - http://www.sufferfesttri.com/safety-beach.html
Round 3 - 2XU Triathlon Series
Date: Sunday 14 January, 2018
Venue: St Kilda
Junior Distance: 200m / 8km / 2km - draft legal
Intermediate: 600m / 13.4km / 5km – draft legal
Senior Distances: – 600m / 26.7km / 5km - draft legal
Organiser: SME360 - http://www.2xutriathlonseries.com.au/race-3/
Nominate for selection now – click here
Congratulations to the selected team who represented Victoria at the Australian Schools Triathlon Festival in April 2017.