Triathlon Western Australia is excited to launch the 2017-18 Race Calendar. This year’s calendar features new events, different formats and most of your old favourites as well. There will be the opportunity to qualify to pull on the green and gold with World Qualifying events and the chance to win State and National bragging rights with two National Championships and a new State Championship event, as well as a revamped Club Event Series.
Headlining the calendar are the State Championship Events which this year will include a State Cross Triathlon championships as well as the regular Duathlon, Sprint, Standard and Long Course races. These events will form the 2017-18 Senior Triathlete of the Year Series, where athletes can earn points towards the coveted Triathlete of the Year Award for age group and open athletes. All the state championship events will have prize money for Open athletes and incentive prizes for Age Group athletes. The five State Championships events are:
- City of Armadale Duathlon, 8 October 2017, National and State Duathlon Championship
- City of Joondalup Triathlon 1, 17 December 2017, State Sprint Championship
- Bunbury City Classic, 25 March 2018, State Standard Distance Championship
- X-Adventure Dunsborough, 22 April 2018, State Cross Triathlon Championship
- IRONMAN 70.3 Busselton, 5 May 2018, National & State Long Course Championship
This year’s Junior Triathlete of the Year Series consists of a 6-race series, including 2 draft legal races for our up and coming athletes. The series is made up of the following events.
- Race 1: City of Armadale Duathlon (8 October 2017)
- Race 2: TWA Development Program Race 1 (28 October 2017)
- Race 3: TWA Development Program Race 2 (25 November 2017)
- Race 4 City of Rockingham (14 January 2018)
- Race 5: Australia Day Triathlon (26 January 2018)
- Race 6: City of Armadale (18 February 2018)
To round out the junior calendar, Triathlon WA will again host the City of Armadale Way Out West Championships which features the Australian Youth, Junior and U23 National Championships. This will again be held on the long weekend over 3-4 March 2018.
If you have ever thought about representing your country at the World Championships, this season is a great opportunity. Not only do we have lots of qualifying events, the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final, featuring the Age Group Standard and Sprint distance and Open Paratriathlon World Championships will be held close to home on the Gold Coast from 12-16 September. The World Qualifying races are:
- Sprint Distance:
- 17/02/2017 - City of Joondalup Triathlon Race 1
- 14/01/2018 – City of Rockingham Triathlon
- Standard Distance:
- 25/03/2018 – Bunbury City Classic Triathlon
- Cross Triathlon:
- 21,22/04/2018 – X-Adventure Dunsborough
- 08/10/2017 – City of Armadale Duathlon
- 21,22/04/2018 – X Adventure Dunsborough
Following the successful introduction of the Club Event Series over the past two seasons, this year’s series has 8 events, with races located from Esperance to Mullaloo with a range of distances. An exciting initiative for this year is the Season Pass, where members can bundle race entries together for discounted entries to Club Event Series races. Further details on this exciting new initiative will be announced at the end of August.
With over 50 events on the calendar and many more local and club race opportunities, now is the perfect time to take out or renew your Triathlon WA membership. Not only do you get discounted entry across all these races, you can access quality training and coaching opportunities through our clubs and a range of exclusive member benefits through the partners of Triathlon WA and Triathlon Australia.
We look forward to seeing you on the starting line this season.
For a full copy of the Calendar, please click here.
For a copy of the Annual Awards and State Series Policy, please click here.
For details on membership and all the benefits it has to offer, click here.