ACGA thrilled with expansion of the para-sport program.
The Australian Commonwealth Games Association welcomes the news of the expansion of the para-sport program.
ACGA Chief Executive Officer Craig Phillips said since the full integration of para-sport events in Manchester in 2002 para-sport athletes have been a key part of Australia’s Commonwealth Games teams.
“We are looking forward to an increased presence on the Gold Coast in 2018,” Phillips said.
“Australian Commonwealth Games teams are about performance, opportunity and inclusiveness. When they assemble every four years they bring together our very best athletes in Commonwealth Games sports, including para-sport athletes. Our inclusiveness is a potent symbol for the Australian community.”
“We know the strength of our para-sport athletes will be a significant contributor to the Australian team’s return to its place at the top of the medal tally.”
Gold Coast Chef de Mission Steve Moneghetti said it was great to see the CGF expanding the para-sport programme with so many more athletes and medals available.
“It’s a wonderful announcement and another example of the Commonwealth Games Federation being at the forefront of inclusiveness in sport, Moneghetti said.
“It provides further opportunities for Australian athletes to participate which is a good thing and I believe it will add to our competitiveness at the Games.”
“We always promote the Commonwealth Games as the “Friendly Games’ and see them as being an inclusive event and this is strong proof of that being true.”
“I might be a bit biased but I can't wait to see the first ever wheelchair marathon (T54) at the Gold Coast Games.”
The 38 para-sport events are:
• Aquatics (Swimming): (W) S8 50m Freestyle, S9 100m Freestyle, SB9 100m Breaststroke, SM10 200m IM, S7 50m Butterfly, S9 100m Backstroke / (M) S9 100m Freestyle, S9 100m Backstroke, S7 50m Freestyle, SB8 100m Breaststroke, SM8 200m IM, S14 200m Freestyle
• Athletics: (W) T54 Marathon, T54 1500m, T38 Long Jump, T38 100m, T35 100m, F46 Javelin / (M) T54 Marathon, T54 1500m, T12 100m, T38 100m, T47 100m, F38 Shot Put
• Cycling (Track): (W) Sprint B&VI, 1000m Time Trial B&VI / (M) Sprint B&VI, 1000m Time Trial B&VI
• Lawn Bowls Men/Women: B2/B3 Mixed Pairs and B6/B7/B8 Open Triples
• Powerlifting: (W) Lightweight, Heavyweight / (M) Lightweight, Heavyweight
• Table Tennis: (W) TT10, (M) TT10
• Triathlon: (W) PT1, (M) PT1
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will be staged from 4-15 April 2018.