About Triathlon & Multisport
What is triathlon?
Triathlon is a multi-discipline sport combining swimming, cycling, and running stages in a single event. Event distances vary from short ‘enticers’ featuring a pool swim, through to long course and beyond containing an ocean swim. Triathlon is enjoyed by people of all ages and fitness levels, and has been an Olympic sport since 2000 and a Paralympic sport since 2016.
Guide to Triathlon Distances
Enticer / Novice
- 250m Swim, 10km Cycle, 2.5km Run 20% 20%
Super Sprint Triathlon
- 300-400m Swim, 5-8km Cycle, 1.5-2km Run 20% 20%
Sprint Distance Triathlon
- 750m Swim, 20km Cycle, 5km Run 40% 40%
Standard Distance Triathlon
- 1.5km Swim, 40km Cycle, 10km Run 60% 60%
100km / Middle-Distance Triathlon
- 2km Swim, 80km Cycle, 18km Run 80% 80%
Long Distance Triathlon
- 3-4km Swim, 120km Cycle, 30km Run 90% 90%
What is a multisport event?
Triathlon is not the only multisport discipline; there are also various other multisport events across Australia incorporating swim, bike, or run components in various combinations. Multisport events are also available in a variety of distances to suit all levels of fitness.
- Aquathlon – Swim, Run (a great option for those getting started)
- Aquabike – Swim, Cycle
- Cross Triathlon – Swim, Mountain Bike, Trail Run
- Cross Duathlon – Trail Run, Mountain Bike, Trail Run
- Duathlon – Run, Cycle and Run (a great winter alternative!)
Triathlon and multisport events are organised by event organisers, state triathlon associations, and individual clubs. They are run at local, state, national and international levels.
Who can participate?
Triathlon and other multisport events in Australia range from kids, enticer, or novice events right through to Australian Championships and World Triathlon World Championship races. So whatever your level of fitness and athletic experience, you’ll be able to find an event to suit – and we’ll be there to help you on the journey as you Find your unstoppable.