Integrity in Triathlon
AusTriathlon is committed to maintaining the integrity of our sport, protecting triathlon from integrity threats and safeguarding our participants.
What is Sport Integrity?
Sport is an Australian way of life. It brings people together, regardless of any differences in language, ability, culture and beliefs, and provides physical, social and economic benefits.
For those reasons, it’s critical that we keep triathlon safe and fair, for everyone who participates.
Integrity in sport means that athletes, supporters and fans can participate and celebrate sport, confident in the knowledge that they are part of a safe, fair and inclusive environment.
Threats to sport integrity include things like illicit drug use, doping, competition-manipulation and behaviours that impact people’s positive experience of sport, such as discrimination or abuse.
All our members and participants have an obligation to protect and maintain the integrity of sport, as well as the health and wellbeing of our athletes.
Through the National Integrity Framework, AusTriathlon takes a proactive approach to mitigate the integrity threats to Triathlon in Australia and to provide a safe, fair, and trustworthy environment for all participants at all levels of Triathlon.
National Integrity Framework
The National Integrity Framework is a suite of policies which set out rules for unacceptable behaviour in our sport and how complaints about breaches of these rules are managed. In March 2022, the AusTriathlon Board resolved to adopt the National Integrity Framework with commencement on 4 May 2022.
Child and Young People Safeguarding
- This Policy is part of AusTriathlon’s proactive and preventative approach to upholding its commitment to the safety, wellbeing, participation and empowerment of all Children and Young People who access Triathlon.
- This Policy seeks to ensure that everyone involved in Triathlon is aware of their rights and responsibilities in relation to Children and Young People.
- This Policy sets out the standards of behaviour expected of those involved in Triathlon and the behaviours that are not acceptable.
Extra safeguarding resources can be found at Safeguarding | Sport Integrity Australia
- This Policy seeks to ensure that everyone involved in our Triathlon is aware of their rights and responsibilities.
- This Policy sets out the standards of behaviour expected of those involved in our Triathlon and the behaviours that are not acceptable.
Improper Use of Drugs and Medicine
The purpose of this Policy is to provide a framework to:
- Address and deter any unlawful distribution and use of Illegal Drugs in connection with Triathlon;
- Aim to reduce the harm caused by Illegal Drugs to Relevant Persons and the broader community;
- Ensure that appropriately qualified personnel are appointed to provide science and medicine services to athletes within Triathlon; and
- Ensure that injections are only administered to athletes within Triathlon as part of appropriate medical treatment.
Competition Manipulation and Sports Wagering
- This Policy prescribes prohibited conduct which constitutes a breach, as well as offences which must be reported to AusTriathlon.
- Through this Policy, AusTriathlon aims to ensure that its core values, good reputation and positive behaviours and attitudes are maintained.
Complaints, Disputes and Disciplinary
The Complaints, Disputes and Discipline Policy has been designed to ensure sport integrity related complaints are dealt with efficiently and effectively and that all involved in Triathlon have confidence that prohibited conduct will be managed via the most appropriate resolution and discipline mechanism.
- The Australian National Anti-Doping Policy reflects the 2021 World Anti-Doping Code and amendments to Australian anti-doping legislation. The purpose of the Australian National Anti-Doping Policy is to have a single and consistent set of anti-doping rules across all sports in Australia.
For further information on Anti-Doping, click here.
Poor conduct which occurred before the 4th of May 2022 should be reported to AusTriathlon and or a State and Territory Triathlon Association through the Triathlon Australia Member Protection Policy (2nd March 2018 to 3rd of May 2022).
Breaches of Integrity Policies: All alleged breaches in relation to our National Integrity Framework and associated integrity policies will be managed under the Complaints, Disputes and Discipline Policy.
Reporting Integrity Issues
Sport Integrity Australia
SIA will manage complaints that relate to Prohibited Conduct under the Child Safeguarding Policy, or allegations relating to discrimination based on a Protected Characteristics, including race, sex, age, disability or religion.
Sport Integrity Australia Complaint Form
P: 1300 027 232
AusTriathlon National Integrity and Complaints Manager
AusTriathlon will manage complaints that relate to any other prohibited conduct under the National Integrity Framework that Sport Integrity Australia does not manage, in addition to complaints relating to matters that are outside the National Integrity Framework.
E: Click here to email
P: (02) 8488 6200
Safe Sport Hotline
1800 161 361
7AM-7PM, 7 DAYS A WEEK, 365 DAYS A YEAR
The Safe Sport Hotline is part of an expanded service offered to members of sport to share their story with a trusted member of the Sport Integrity Australia team about integrity issues they have experienced. The service includes an anonymous reporting capability that covers wider racial and cultural issues in sport for people who feel they have been discriminated against in their sport.
IF YOU NEED HELP NOW
Please contact your local law enforcement agency or dial ‘000’ if there is an immediate threat to an individual’s safety.
For matters relating to a child being at risk of harm, you may also wish to report your concerns to your local child protection agency. We cannot assist in emergency situations. If you need mental health or wellbeing support, you can contact a support service provider:
For Australian National Anti-Doping Policy, Anti-Doping Education, Sport Integrity Australia Anti-Doping Online Resources, WADA Code and more – Please click here